Monday, June 8, 2009

Blog Plans & Weight Loss

I started this blog as a way to document my pregnancy, so now that I'm not pregnant, what do I do with this blog?... Well, I've enjoyed writing down my thoughts, so I think I'll continue to do so. Consider it a journal, or the ramblings, of me of about just about anything. I'll probably be writing about my newborn, probably my journey to lose the pregnancy weight, about my crazy 3-year old and other postpartum and parenting thoughts. I guess I just like having a place to write down what's on my mind. So, read on if you want!

Being a new mom is quite a journey. I mean, one kid is work, but when you have more than one your time has to be divided between your children. And that's a hard things to do when you have a newborn requiring more time than your other child or children, which ever you have. I've been thinking a lot lately on how people do this with twins or when your kids are closer in age. Boo has been extremely helpful, I don't know what I would do without her help and independence. I'm sure I'd handle it if they were closer in age, but it would sure be harder. But I guess it's hard no matter what age your kids are because your exhausted from your new baby no matter what.

On a happy note, I've lost all my pregnancy weight, plus a little more. I know I was even less at some point before pregnancy, but from my doctors calculations, I've lost it all plus 5 pounds. I've decided to be brave like my sister and put my weight out there for everyone to see. I've never really be ashamed of my weight. Mostly because I usually surprise people with the number. I've always said that I could throw those weight-guessing people at the fair off with my weight. No one ever guesses right. Either I hide it well, or my height doesn't usually get factored in.

Another reason for keeping a quasi-journal of weight loss is because I plan on losing some. I never really lost all my weight after my first baby, so I want to get down to my weight I was at when I got married. So here's my break down numbers:

-At some point in high school, my weight was around 135.
-I think when I graduated it was around 140-145.
-I weighed 160 when Bo and I got married.

So my goal is 160, and I would aim for high school weight, but I really was extremely skinny and don't think I could lose that much. So, from my weigh-in last Wednesday, I was at 195 which makes a 35 pound weight loss goal.

Now, here's the catch. I'm breastfeeding. So, I can't really work out because I don't want to do anything to hinder my milk production, but I can watch what I eat. And from what I read on my friend Alicia's blog, her grandma, who is a mid wife, said you shouldn't try to lose any weight until the baby is at least 6 months old. (Correct me if I'm wrong Alicia) So, I've got some time before I can "work out". Until then, here's my goals:

-Try to take walks, nothing strenuous, but refreshing.
-No soda. I'd gotten in the habit while I was pregnant, but I really need to kick it, honestly it makes my stomach hurt... but why does it have to taste so good!
-Cut down my sugar intake. I've considered going off chocolate again (I've gone off chocolate twice in my life for a year each time). But I'm still up in the air about how to cut down my sugar.
-Drink a gallon of water a day.
-Eat more veggies.
-Eat fruit for snacks. A lingering effect from pregnancy is that I really like eating fruit, not that I didn't before that, but pregnancy made me crave it, and lots of it.
-No HFCS. (High Fructose Corn Syrup) It's not good for you, but unfortunately it's in everything!
-Eat small meals, more times a day.

I'm hoping by changing these small things that I'll be able to drop some weight before I can start working out. I have plans to weigh in every week, and will keep track on the side of my blog.

Sorry if this makes for a boring blog, but I enjoy writing my thoughts. Read at your own discretion.

1 comment:

John and Laura said...

You have great goals. Good luck losing weight. It's no fun. I think my milk supply was affected by how much weight I lost the first few months. Happy postpartum!