Monday, June 22, 2009

Can I get some cheese on that?

Okay, I still have a cranky baby. And I know, babies cry, but how much is too much crying?... It's hard to tell. I have decided that he is upset by something I'm eating. So I had my mom call her mid-wife friend and ask what I should be giving up. Bare in mind, I've been off milk and ice cream for about a week now, and lemme tell ya, I'm dying for a big bowl of ice cream with a side of cold cereal. Dying. Yeah. Anyway, my mom's mid-wife friend said that the biggest food culprit that upsets babies is dairy, but the worst dairy food is cheese. CHEESE! Do you know how much cheese I eat?! I put cheese on EVE-RY-THING! My mom asked what I had eaten on Saturday and Sunday, yeah, it all had cheese on it! How does a person live without cheese? What do they eat? She also said I should avoid anything that could make the baby gassy, like beans, cabbage or broccoli. Okay, so my back up plan is now foiled, I was going to live on bean burritos with no cheese. So what do I eat now...? Anyone? Suggestions?

Good news, she said after a week of no dairy, particularly cheese, I can start to slowly introduce it back into my diet starting with yogurt. It's not guaranteed that I'll be able to eat it, but there's hope. She explained that the enzymes in the babies digestive track aren't mature enough to handle the dairy and that with time they will mature and hopefully I'll be able to go back to eating anything. Hopefully. What she did suggest to eat is garlic. Like raw garlic. Apparently babies really like it. Weird.

My baby is going to be a month old tomorrow. That's crazy! With living on little sleep, I haven't noticed where the last month has gone. I'm feeling a bit zombie-ish. He's still not sleeping good, but I think that's due to him not feeling good from my milk. Vicious cycle I tell ya. He's also always hungry. Home-boy could eat and eat, all day. I'm trying to find things that increase milk supply. He's managing right now, but I need to make sure I keep my calories up so that I don't lose any supply. Luckily with trying to eat enough calories, I've still kept my weight down. Not that I'm trying, but I think giving up milk, ice cream, soda, chocolate, and basically anything that tastes good, I'm not gaining weight. And now cheese... Oh man, I'm gonna starve....

3 comments:

Katy said...

Your not gonna starve I promise. You can get creative and figure something out I'm sure of it!!!

Alicia said...

This all sound EXACTLY like what I went through with Trenton. I'll e mail you later. Right now I've got a momma's boy on my lap and it's hard to type one handed.

John and Laura said...

Cranky babies are no fun! I've done the same thing with all three of my kids-- cut out certain foods to see if it helped the cranky-ness. I never noticed a difference. Our pediatrician in UT just said that babies sort of "wake up" around week 2 or 3 and are crabby for no apparent reason! And then they eventually grow out of it. I was never willing to try it, since the thought of swallowing garlic raw is still beyond me! One thing I did try a couple times with Evy is the colic water or gripe water or you can use Mylicon (anti-gas) for babies. I'm not big on giving babies any unnecessary drugs, but if he's having gassy discomfort, the mylicon will help and not hurt.

Good luck. This is a hard stage. Hope it gets better soon.