Friday, May 8, 2009

"Giant"? Really?...

What is it about me going to the doctor, do they really have to make everything so complicated? Can’t I just go and have a normal uneventful visit and come home? No. Apparently not.

And I thought that it was the doctor worrying, but after yesterday I think the doctor thinks that I'm a worry wart. And I am, but really I'm not. The doctors appointment yesterday was... long. They had some trouble with their computers and so they were running behind, really behind. I waited in the waiting room for over an hour. And since I took my 3 year old, it made for wild wait. She wasn't thrilled about sitting still for that long, and was frustrated each time we weren't called back. She kept saying "when do we get to get called?".

Finally we were called back, weight taken - and I gained less than a pound in the last week and a half (that makes my total weight gain 17 pounds), I'm seriously doubting myself and what I'm eating. Is there such a thing as eating too healthy? Okay, not really, I know I'm not eating super healthy ALL the time, so shouldn't I be gaining more?... I dunno. ...excuse me while I go eat a donut or something totally fattening...

Anyway, the doctor checked me, good blood pressure (they actually checked twice), I'm measuring fine, he's head down and he sounded good. Then she asked if he was moving "a lot". I wasn't sure how to answer, so I said "Well, some days. Some days he moves a lot and others, not so much. He hasn't moved much this morning but that could be because I was driving." Honest answer. And she gave me this look, and said "Well we can have you do a non stress test if you want." If I want? Isn't she the doctor and knows what's best? So I said "whatever you think is best". Then she suggested not only the non stress test(NST) but also to get my water levels tested... Would you have known what that meant?... I was confused. So was she suggesting these tests because I needed them, or because she thinks I'm like worried and stressed about the baby?...

So she sent me to eat some lunch then I came back to get an ultrasound to check the level of amniotic fluid and then have the NST. By this time, my 3 year old was ready to be done with the doctor, so we went and got some lunch and then went back to the doctor, which she wasn't happy about. I only had 2 ultrasounds with my first pregnancy and they were both early on, so it was really cool to get one so late in the pregnancy this time. It's always a relief to see the baby, and know that everything is okay. The ultrasound tech asked what we were having before she started the ultrasound and I said that we "think" it's a boy, and she said "think? You don't know for sure?". I told her that the last time we had the ultrasound to find out the sex that the tech didn't really get a clear picture mostly because the baby wasn't being cooperative, so we weren't 100% sure. Her answer "Well boy parts are kind of hard to miss... Did you save all your receipts just in case?" Yeah, I know boy parts kind of "stick out", but the tech wasn't sure. So she said after she checked the "water" levels she would make sure for us. My least favorite part of ultrasounds, the goo, and she really gooed me, it was every where! It was really interesting to watch her maneuver the ultrasound machine, I guess when you do it for a job you can tell just what everything on the screen is. I'm glad she made comments to me while doing the ultrasound because the nurse doing the NST wasn't as informative. The tech said my levels were good, but actually that I had a lot of fluid and for that reason I may not be feeling him a ton - more "swimming" room she called it. Then she went on to find "the parts". Right away she found them, and for sure, it's a boy. Her comment "See? Right there? Those are his 'giant' testicles." (notice the arrow, it's pointing to them)

Oh, great, thanks for sharing. I felt embarrassed for him, so exposed. And "giant", is that something that can really be compared?... Luckily Boo wasn't paying attention, so she missed the anatomy lesson. It was fun to see his face, not that I could see anything clearly, but he "looks" cute... as much as an ultrasound can show you. Here's a couple pictures.

These ones the tech commented to Boo that baby brother was blowing bubbles. I don't actually know what the bubbles are, but it's cute. (Both are profile views)
While doing the ultrasound I could actually see a pretty good view of his face straight on, it was cute to see his eyes, they were closed but it's amazing the things they can see through your skin...

After the ultrasound we went to do the NST test, and that was... fun... NOT. Sitting in a chair with these "things" strapped to your belly for over 30 minutes while trying to entertain and control a 3 year old? Not so easy. After she played with everything in the room, 2 stuffed animals, the blood pressure pump, the trash can (just the foot petal, she liked to see the lid open and slam shut), the sink, the NST machine, and anything else she could find I finally got her distracted by playing "I Spy" with her.

So, apparently everything was okay, because they let me come home, but didn't say anything to me about the test, so again, I was really thankful to the ultrasound tech for telling me something at least.

And then it was back in the car to go home! We were tired of the doctors office, and not really excited about getting in the car. It was hot yesterday! I drove by one of those signs that says the temperature on it and it said it was 107°! I am totally not ready for summer. Luckily though, I won't be pregnant for it...

The doctor gave me a break yesterday and I didn't have to get a pelvic, but I'll have one the next 2 Thursdays, which are my last 2 appointments. I'm hoping to only have one of the appointments since she said she may induce me early, so we'll see what happens. Until next time!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I only gained 17 pounds with Trent. But it felt like so much more. I got that test where the strap stuff up to you for twenty or thirty minutes.
After the test was done, my doctor said "looks good! You can go home!" And I said, "Do you want to check me?" And he said, "Not for a few weeks."

And then I had a baby the next day.

Katy said...

It is soo much easier to see those pics on here than it was on the phone!!! So cute!!!